Thursday 2 September 2010

Fundraising for the Royal British Legion


I had not intended to ask people to sponsor me to do this walk as I am really only doing it for my own benefit as a personal challenge.

However with only a few days to go before I set off I have decided to change my mind and raise money for the Royal British Legion. I benefitted first hand when they supported my father who was a World War II veteran who suffered ill health and was unable to work before dying aged 55 when I was 10. I am also aware of the excellent work they continue to carry out supporting our soldiers from more recent conflicts including modern campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.

More details can be found on their web site http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

I have also decided to "monetise" this site by enabling Adsense on this Blog. Instinctively I am not keen on my web viewing being distracted by adverts, however in this case I will be donating all funds raised in this way to the Royal British Legion. Think of it as similar to adverts on ITV or Sky, but like TV please ignore adverts you are not interested in and please do not click on links frivalously - THANKS.

In addition I have included a sponsors page (link to follow) on this Blog.
These are links to companies that are supporting my efforts and boosting
sponsorship by having a link on this page.
If you would like to support me by making a donation
and featuring your company on this page please

Undertaking a challenge of this type is probably the greatest physical challenge and test of endurance I have attempted. It has also had an impact on people close to me from whom I have already received a great deal of support. From my wife Gina, my mates Clive Kirk & Dave Boother and friends Joss Johnson & Alison Wright who went out walking with me on a number of evenings to keep me company while I was clocking up the daily miles and weight carrying over the last 8 weeks.

Clive actually walked the Sandlings Walk with me and had to call it a day at Walberswick when his blistered feet would not take him any further towards the final destination of Southwold just 2 miles away and after 3 days walking 55miles. He needed medical treatment at our local surgery one of which was the District Nurse visiting him at our house to dress his wounds; could not drive home to Harrow for 3 days, was off his feet for 1 week and still after 3 weeks is still not able to run without some pain. He really should have called it a day the day before but pressed on and gave me the confidence that I could walk close on 20 miles per day for 4 consecutive days. THANKS Clive.

Dave Boother came with me to the Lake District (the week before my walk) for one week to help with my Hill Training as well as me carrying close to my target weight of 40lbs + water. He braved gale force winds and bullet rain on one day not to mention ordinary wind and rain on 2 other days. Most importantly and pleasing for him he extended his limits and faced his fear of heights by scrambling up the North side of Hopegill Head from Ladyside Pike which was made twice as difficult by the weather conditions. Well done Dave and THANKS to you as well.

Most of all thanks to my wife Gina who has had to put up with my obsessive behaviour in preparing and training for the trip. Plus staying at home alone while I am away 3 weeks on the walk. I think she is overplaying this as it is also giving her a 3 week break from me!!!!!!

It is certainly one of the few things that I have set out a plan and worked on a schedule to achieve a personal objective. Usually I "Just get on and do it" which as people closest to me and my osteopath will tell you is not always the best way without preparing the old body first. THANKS to Matt Brennan of Grange Fitness who progressed my rehab from a lower back injury, incurred on a previous expedition, devising, adjusting and supervising my personal training programme to prepare me physically for this challenge.

In addition on our first day in the Lake District at Stybeck Farm bunkhouse we met a group of people who were cycling Lands End to John O'Groats and met two guys who were on day 7 of a 12 day challenge. We got talking and they really got me thinking that I should do something.

It turned out that one of the cyclists was Chris Edwards a band member of the awesome band Kasabian and his brother Jay.  Well done to them for raising money for Teenage Cancer Trust. What a great guy - not a hint of celebrity or ego from someone who is an international superstar. Just an ordinary bloke we met on a hill that inspired me further and hopefully we inspired him on what was a tremendous challenge made more difficult by the horrendous weather conditions we both experience the next day (13 Sept) .

We saw the name on the side of their support vehicle but did not hang onto our initial association with the name and the band. I assumed it was a company with a similar name. But on checking the web on our return it turns out it was the band.

You can find out more about their challenge on http://www.jaychrislejog.com/

Finally just a personal appeal - I know times are tough at the moment and there are loads of good causes out there making demands on our charity pound. But this is a cause that supports those that gave up a great deal so we can have what we have today. They are still doing it today and I guess that most of us put our pound or fiver in the tin for poppy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment