Wednesday 1 September 2010

Photographs Day15 - Day19


Day15 Friday 08 October 2010
Knarsdale - Once Brewed
Day15 Summary, Map, Route (Description to follow)

Difficult to get up this morning and with five days to go was wishing for the first time that there were less. Foggy morning and getting lost twice requiring GPS to be turned on to find route again only made the feeling worse. This conspired to delay me not reaching Hadrians Wall until 4pm leaving 6 miles to complete in just over 2 hours to avoid being out after dark. This was not achieved as the wall section is one of the hardest parts of the entire walk due to the never ending undulations. As far as I'm concerned the Romans and the Picts are welcome to it.


Day16 Saturday 09 October 2010
Once Brewed - Bellingham
Day16 Summary, Map, Route (Description to follow)

After the difficulties of yesterday I am determined today will be better so fuelled up with yet another 3 course pub meal the night before, this time in the Twice Brewed Inn, and a double portion of porridge cooked up on my burner on the outside kitchen mean't I was off to a good start. The fog had not lifted and Hadrians Wall was not any easier. But once the Pennine Way started to head north leaving the wall behind the most strenuous part of the day was done and navigation was without any problems. However the distance to be covered (18 mles) meant I did not reach Bellingham until dusk. At least there was a hot shower and another pub meal (3 courses) to look forward to.


Day17 Sunday 10 October 2010
Bellingham - Byrness
Day17 Summary, Map, Route (Description to follow)

10:40 start this meaning meaning it will be dusk again when I reach Byrness tonight. With only 3 days walking left for the very first time I let myself believe I am going to complete this challenge. Nothing short of a broken leg, and it would have to be a bad break, is going to stop me finishing. Mind you after walking for more than an hour through calf deep bogarround Redesdale Forrest  I still questioned what part of this walk was fun. After giving the ground a good beating with my trecking poles ½ way through the bog reminded me it was for one of lifes great experiences.