Monday 1 November 2010

Introduction

This year (2010) I have decided to walk the Pennine Way as part of my objective of climbing all hills/mountains in England over 2000ft with a prominence of 15m. (Great mixture of imperial and metric) These are England’s version of the Scottish Munro’s and called Nuttalls. (See http://www.nuttalls.com/ for more details). At risk of sounding like an anorak it is worth pointing out that Hewitts are really the equivalent as they have a prominence of 30m. However for the anoracks amongst us full definitions of all hill types are given on http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/

Originally I intended to complete climbing all of these in 2010 having climbed 98 out of the 253, leaving 155 to climb in one year averaging 13 per month.

Unfortunately I sustained a back injury back in March; following my American Pie day on Mickle Fell on 07 Feb, which took out 3 months of my schedule, which if I tried to catch up may have seen me back on the treatment couch and more in importantly in the divorce court.

What should I do instead? I know walk the Pennine Way, from Edale in Derbyshire to Kirk Yelholm, just the other side of the Scottish border. A total of 270 miles usually walked in 14 - 16 days. My plan is to visit some of the Nuttalls along the way making a total walk of 330 miles and taking 21 days.

I hope to keep a diary of my daily progress including photographs. This of course depends on me being able to work out the technology “thingy” by way of this “blog” via “facebook whats-it” as well as ensuring I keep my camera and smart-phone charged. Of course, this depends on me having a mobile signal.

Anyway – whatever happens I am declaring here and now to do the walk between 23 Sept 2010 and 14 October 2010 so there is no backing out. Also I have just paid for my train ticket to Edale and I don’t want to waste that.

Look out for further updates about training as well as daily diary entries during the walk. Hope they are not too boring.

Finally I had not intended to ask people to support me to do this walk but it occurred to me that it is such a personal challenge I felt it would be a waste if I did not take this opportunity to raise even a few pounds for the Royal British Legion. If only one person donates an extra £ over and above the odd fiver for a poppy every year it will have been worthwhile.